Article courtesy of Business-Review
Pope Francis is coming to Romania from May 31 until June 2. The visit is considered a once in a lifetime opportunity and is called “Let’s walk together”, according to Vatican News.
During his visit in Romania, Pope Francis will stop at six destinations. The trip will include visits to the Romanian Orthodox and Roman Catholic cathedrals, celebration of a Latin-rite Mass and an Eastern-rite Divine Liturgy, as well as separate meetings with political leaders, young people and families as well as members of the Roma community.
Pope Francis will visit capital city Bucharest as well as the cities of Bacau, Iasi, Sibiu, Blaj and the Marian shrine in Sumuleu Ciuc, an important place of pilgrimage for Hungarian Catholics.
He will also beatify seven bishop-martyrs of the Eastern-rite Romanian Catholic Church, who died during a fierce anti-religious campaign waged under the communist regime.
The story behind the visit of Pope Francis in Romania
Romanian president Klaus Iohannis first invited the Pontiff to Romania in 2015, on the 25th anniversary of the re-establishment of diplomatic ties between Romania and the Vatican, and reconfirmed the invitation in a letter in 2017, according to Transylvania Now.
Pope Francis will arrive in Bucharest shortly before noon on May 31, and have a meeting with state and church officials to celebrate a Mass at the St Joseph Roman Catholic church in the Romanian capital.
On June 1, he will celebrate another mass at the Catholic pilgrimage site of Csíksomlyó/Sumuleu Ciuc after which he will visit the Queen Mary cathedral in Iasi, followed by a meeting with youth and families at the local Palace of Culture.
On June 2, he will take part in the official beatification of seven Greek-Catholic martyred bishops in Balázsfalva/Blaj, followed by a meeting with members of the local Roma community. He will leave Romania from the Szeben/Sibiu airport.
Pope Francis in Romania: full schedule for the visit
Friday, May 31 (Rome, Bucharest)
- 8:10 a.m. (2:10 a.m.) Departure from Rome’s Fiumicino airport for Bucharest.
- 11:30 a.m. (4:30 a.m.) Arrival at Henri Coanda International Airport in Otopeni, near Bucharest.
- 12:05 p.m. (5:05 a.m.) Welcoming ceremony at the entrance of the Cotroceni Presidential Palace.
- 12:20 p.m. (5:20 a.m.) Courtesy visit with President Klaus Iohannis in the Cotroceni Palace.
- 12:50 p.m. (5:50 a.m.) Meeting with Prime Minister Viorica Dancila in the Cotroceni Palace.
- 1 p.m. (6 a.m.) Meeting with civil and political leaders and members of the diplomatic corps at the Cotroceni Palace. Speech by pope.
- 3:45 p.m. (8:45 a.m.) Private meeting with Romanian Orthodox Patriarch Daniel at the patriarchal palace.
- 4:15 p.m. (9:15 a.m.) Meeting with members of the Orthodox synod at the patriarchal palace. Speech by pope.
- 5 p.m. (10 a.m.) Joint Prayer of the Our Father in the new Romanian Orthodox cathedral. Greeting by pope.
- 6:10 p.m. (11:10 a.m.) Celebration of Mass at the Catholic Cathedral of St. Joseph. Homily by pope.
Saturday, June 1 (Bucharest, Bacau, Miercurea Ciuc, Iasi, Bucharest)
- 9:30 a.m. (2:30 a.m.) Departure by plane for Bacau.
- 10:10 a.m. (3:10 a.m.) Arrival at Bacau airport, transfer by helicopter to the air base in Miercurea Ciuc.
- 11:30 a.m. (4:30 a.m.) Celebration of Mass at the Marian shrine in Sumuleu Ciuc. Homily by pope.
- 4:10 p.m. (9:10 a.m.) Transfer by helicopter to the Iasi airport.
- 5:25 p.m. (10:25 a.m.) Visit to the Our Lady Queen of Iasi Cathedral.
- 5:45 p.m. (10:45 a.m.) Marian gathering with young people and families in the square outside the government Palace of Culture in Iasi. Speech by pope.
- 7 p.m. (Noon) Departure by plane for Bucharest.
- 8 p.m. (1 p.m.) Arrival at Bucharest’s Henri Coanda International Airport in Otopeni, near Bucharest.
Sunday, June 2 (Bucharest, Sibiu, Blaj, Sibiu, Rome)
- 9 a.m. (2 a.m.) Departure by plane for Sibiu.
- 9:40 a.m. (2:40 a.m.) Arrival at the Sibiu airport and transfer by helicopter to Blaj.
- 11 a.m. (4 a.m.) Celebration of the Divine Liturgy and the beatification of seven martyred bishops of the Eastern-rite Romanian Catholic Church at Blaj’s Liberty Field. Homily by pope. Recitation of the “Regina Coeli” prayer.
- 1:25 p.m. (6:25 a.m.) Lunch with the papal entourage.
- 3:45 p.m. (8:45 a.m.) Meeting with members of the Roma community. Greeting by pope.
- 4:35 p.m. (9:35 a.m.) Transfer by helicopter to the Sibiu airport.
- 5:20 p.m. (10:20 a.m.) Farewell ceremony at the airport.
- 5:30 p.m. (10:30 a.m.) Departure by plane for Rome’s Ciampino airport.
- 6:45 p.m. (12:45 p.m.) Arrival at Rome’s Ciampino airport.
More here: http://business-review.eu/news/pope-francis-romania-201588